Friday, January 1, 2021

A Look Back - The 2020 Winners

 2020 was a rough year and it was not all due to the pandemic.  My health seemed to be telling me to slow down and take care of myself.  I tried.

Now, back to sewing.  I really think 2020 was my most successful sewing year in a very long time.  Everything that was made has been used.  

Many items in a weekly rotation throughout the summer.  Here is the items that were in constant rotation -The woven tanks were perfect for the hot summer weather.  They will be returning next summer unless there is a fitting issue.  The Camber Set Dress was another perfect hot summer item and in constant rotation.  The three shirts that I made my husband were well received and worn a lot.  He's still wearing them because the weather is intermittently still warm.  The Indygo Junction Easy Top was a great top and worn throughout the summer and fall.  

These items were not worn as much but still worn.  The Dorian Pants and Navy Tank were worn a fair amount.  The pants turned out to have an issue with the crotch length/depth.  I still wore them and enjoyed wearing them but spent a fair amount of time pulling them up.  The tank felt a little tight.  Even though it was the exact same pattern used as the woven tanks above.  I suspect that the fact that I had doubled the fabric had something to do with it.  That fabric was kinda expensive at $15/yard and I missed that it was only 1 1/2 oz in weight per yard.  Doubling the fabric was my solution to still getting a wearable garment from the yardage that I purchased.   The Natalie Shirt didn't get worn as much as I expected.  With this top, I missed the fact that the first button was at the same level as my bra band.  I felt kinda exposed with the button at that level.  I ended up adding an additional button and buttonhole, and it worked out okay.  I really love the fabric on this shirt and will definitely be looking for similar fabric.  The Rhett Jacket has been worn quite a bit given that I just finished it at the first of December.  The fabric is really what makes this jacket.  I liked the fabric so much that I searched for more and purchased a couple of different colors.  

I have not worn the Bertie dress yet.  I know that is sad but I do love the dress.  I just have not had an occasion to wear it.  I guess I will need to just wear with some tights and it will become a day-to-day dress.  I had intended this dress to be useful during the fall, winter, and spring.  

The last couple of items that I made this year was for my husband and son.  The lounge pants for my son was well received so I know that he will wear them as they come up into rotation.  The fleece vest that I made my husband was well received and he's been wearing it almost daily.

The other things that I made were masks, lots of masks.  The majority were handed off to the local hospital for non-essential workers/visitors.  All of the masks that I made for family have been used for the majority of the year.  In fact, it's probably time to make a few more just for something different. The holiday apron and oven mitts were well used on Christmas.  They will be used through the rest of the year into January then put away.

I think the reason that my sewing was so successful this year is that I really put some thought into the purchases that I made and the items that I needed.  I did purchase far too many patterns, too much fabric, and notions.  I did document my purchases and what I intended to make.  I realize that I do not sew as fast as I think I can.  I just need to not purchase as much and try a little harder to use the items that have already been purchased.  

Here's to a successful 2021.  I hope that I end up with as good a sewing year as 2020 was.  How did your 2020 sewing turn out?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment