Monday, July 16, 2012

A finished project....

Yep, that's right. I have finished a project and I can't remember the last time I finished anything. That is so sad. In my last post, I mentioned that I have been working on the Sorbetto tank top   pattern by Colette Patterns.  Here's my finished top:

I was fairly impressed with this pattern. It was very well drafted.  I did make a couple of changes:

1. Moved the dart from being a straight dart to a french dart.
2. Made a larger dart by 3/4".
3. Added 3/8" to the bottom.
4. Due to lack of fabric, I removed the front pleat.

I can see in the mirror and the pictures that there is still a little bit of length and depth issues going on but this is a completely wearable top.  It actually fits better than most RTW.   I really thought the first try at this would be a wadder and used some really pretty scraps that I found in my stash.  That bit of left over fabric was just perfect for this particular project.  I'm thrilled that I have a woven tank top pattern now.  The one thing that I did not like about the pattern was the bias binding application. 

The things I will changing for the next try on this top:

1.  Make a larger FBA.  I can see the signs that this needs to be larger with the front being shorter than the sides and the wrinkles from the bust to the side.  There is also a little bit of gaping around the armhole.  Again that could just be the need for a larger FBA.
2. Change the bias binding application.  This should not be too hard to accomplish.
3.  I would like to draft a sleeve pattern for this pattern.  I think that having a little bit of a sleeve will be a little more flattering.  Once I get the top fitting where I'm happy with it, I will redraft the armhole and draft the sleeve.
That isn't too much to do, is it?

The next project is a skirt.  I draw an a-line skirt based on my measurements.  It is really simple.  Same pattern piece for the front and the back.  When cut for the front, the pattern piece is on the fold.  When cut for the back, the pattern piece is not cut on the fold with a seam allowance added.   This should be easy.  The pattern does call for a cotton lining.  We'll see if one is needed.

Happy Sewing!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

I didn't realize...

....that it has been so long since I have been to my blog. Time has literally flown by. I've been busy doing a deep clean of the house. I have donated many boxes/bags of items to the charity but I am not finished yet. I will still continue working on clearing stuff. I know that I haven't hit every corner yet.

I did get my sewing room moved around and cleaned up. It has really put me back into the mood for sewing. I have traced and modified the Sorbetto pattern from Colette. The pattern is super simple. The hardest part is the binding. I am definitely out of practice on the topstitching. I have also drawn an a-line skirt pattern. That is next on the list. After the skirt, I may return to the Sorbetto and make another top.

We also went on vacation to Colorado/South Dakota area. It was absolutely beautiful. I hope that I get to go there again. I was sad to the find out that the forest are dying. I hope that something is can be done to save it. Here's one of my favorite pictures from the trip:

When I look at this picture, I see a hawk overlooking his territory.  The mountains and rock formations were just beautiful.

After my vacation, I had family come and spend a week.  It was so much fun to see them.  I do miss living close to family. 

Hopefully, the next time I check in I will have some sewing related projects finished and ready to share.

Happy Stitching!