Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Contemporary Kimono...The Time Has Come To Start...

Fall will be here before we know it.  So, that makes it time to get started on the planned kimono.  Here are the previous posts on the subject:

1.  Inspiration...Kimono Jacket
2.  Comtemporary Kimono...The Planning

As previously stated, the gray will be the main body of the jacket along with the sleeve cuffs.  The inside and pockets will be black and I may edge the seam side of the pocket in gray.  That decision doesn't have to be made until the jacket is ready to stitch.  I'm going to leave the front band as a decision for later.

Originally I was going to do a muslin but after seeing the pattern pieces, I decided that I would just go for it.  This may be a big surprise in the end.  Hopefully, it will fit and I will like it.

There were a couple of decisions that needed to be made before I can actually stitch the pattern.  The stitch length will be approximately 1/4-inch with 1/2-inch between the stitching lines.  I think this is doable.  It may take a bit to do the handwork but I can do it.  That is, unless my fingers get sore from all the stitching.  Here is a couple of samples:



This is the black thread on the gray.  I'm thinking that the stitches and the lines are too close together. 


I think this sample is a little better and a little closer to the inspiration picture.

The jacket front, back, and sleeves have been cut out.  If you haven't worked with this kimono jacket pattern before, make sure that you follow the fabric layout or you may not have enough fabric.  The layout is unique.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment