Friday, April 26, 2019

Contemporary Kimono...The Planning

In February, I did an inspiration post on a Kimono Jacket and I really liked that jacket.  I finally got the pattern:


Instead of a short jacket like the inspiration photo, I will be making the jacket in the longer length with the sleeve bands.  Here's the fabric that I chose to use:


This will be the exterior of the jacket.


This is the interior of the jacket.  Both of these fabric are an Essex Cotton/Linen blend.

My plan is to use a black DMC pearl cotton in a size 8 to stitch the fabric layers together.  With luck this will go well as I have never attempted this sort of stitching before to create a cloth.

The Kantha style stitching is just a running stitch.  I couldn't find any information on stitch length.  So, I guess I get to decide.  The inspiration picture appears to have largish size stitches.  I'm not sure that I would go larger than 1/4" in length with the stitches.

Have you made a garment using this style of embroidery?  I would love to hear about it.    I will do periodic updates on the project as I go along.  I suspect that it will take a little while to do the hand stitching.  I shouldn't need this type of jacket until fall.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment