Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Angel's Bag...

I decided to make a bag using the Angel's Handbag and Leggings pattern by Silhouette Patterns:


This is a style departure for me.

In looking at the pattern, it is pretty straight forward.  I will not be putting the fringe on the outside.  The inside needs a little bit of work as I know I will planned storage than the two pockets in the pattern.  I intend to add a zippered pocket and credit card slots. I found a little tutorial here if you're interested in these types of pockets. The cell phone pocket is a wee bit small for my phone so that needs to be enlarged a little also.  I also would like this to have a zippered closure.  It seems to be open like a tote bag.  Even with the optional magnetic closure, it's too open for me.

So Sew Easy Tutorial for sewing the zipper tab - here.

Here's pictures of the inside changes:


This is the zippered pocket with the bag pocket below it.   I wasn't sure about the bag pocket at first but I think I'm going to like it.


The cell phone pocket is single layer and I hope that wasn't a mistake. The entire lining has sf101 attached.  There is places where this caused a great deal of thickness but my machine stitched right it.  As far as the zippered pocket, I decided to make sure that the upper edges would be stitched into a seam.  The pocket was sized at 8"x 12".

Here's a picture of the zipper area for closure:



This was a real challenge to stitch.  The fabric seems sticky and the machine didn't want to stitch it at all.  I ended up using two types of stabilizers.  Unfortunately, it was hard to see and my stitching isn't that great.  I seriously doubt that anyone will notice but me.

Here's the final bag:


It was really difficult to punch the holes in this for the rivets.  Hopefully, the rivets will actually hold.

Conclusion:

1.  This wasn't a particular difficult pattern to make.  With that being said, this is not a beginner pattern.  There is just too much that a beginner wouldn't know to create this successfully unless they are using leather.

2.  I would say that it is definitely meant for leather even though the pattern envelope states any purse fabric.  There are absolutely no information for using a fabric with this pattern.

3  Little instructions are missing that really should be there.  Example, the rivets require some type of stabilization especially at the sides of the bag.  This is something that you need to be aware of before any final stitching on the bag.  It is possible that the purse handle has enough layers that any additional stabilization isn't necessary.


Would I sew this bag again?  Maybe.  The sheer size of this bag is really outside of my comfort zone.  Hopefully, I will use it.  I did add some nice touches to the inside that should make it a little easier to use for me.


Happy Stitching!





No comments:

Post a Comment