Tuesday, July 10, 2018

I've Done It Now...Day 4

Finally, I'm returning to the upholstery project started in April.  You can see what I started with in the first post here.  Process can be found in the 2nd post and the 3rd post.  Since the last post, the frame was glued, the zig zag spring has been tacked down, and the arm screws removed so that I could get the final bit of fabric removed from the back.  Here's the result of that work:



I decide to leave the batting on the chair back as it was still in good condition.  Of course some of that decision was that it was very well tacked in.  Then I decided to start tying the springs down.  Here's the result:


I used this youtube video on how to tie the springs down along with stapling method.  I'm sure the same method would be used with other types of springs.  I used a Ruby Italian Twine which I purchased from eBay.  Now on to the next layer:



Here I've put the jute on the chair and put a small edge roll on the front.


Here's the chair with the first layer of padding on it.  After looking at this I decided that I needed a 1-inch high density foam.  I didn't have any stashed and went looking at the local stores.  I did find a 2-inch high density foam and tried it on the chair and it's too much.  I did find what I needed at eBay and now, I get to wait for it to arrive sometime in the next 10 days.  Oh, boy.

Definitely, not the quick project that I had originally thought it was going to be.  However, it will be nice when it's finished.

In the meantime, here is the youtube video that I used - Padding a chair. If you want to see a more authentic version of the 30's style office chair being upholstered, check out this video - Upholstery Horse Hair and Leather Part 1 and Upholstery - Horse Hair and Leather Part 2.  He makes it look easy, doesn't he?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment