Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I've Done It Now....

Have you ever given any thought to re-upholstering a chair?  I have many times.   Many years ago...maybe in the 90s, my Mom recovered this office chair for me:


























My kitties immediately loved it too and made a mess of the fabric.  So, I decided to re-do this chair with this fabric:



Yeah, I like to challenge myself.  The colors make me happy but the pattern may not be easy to match up.

Here's the process of taking off the fabric that my Mom put on the chair:


The back piece is off and it was a lot of work.  Much to my surprise, the chair's original color is green.  For some reason, I had thought it was brown.


My Mom used a lot of staples.  The front of the seat back is off.  I do think that I will be taking the leather off this chair as well.  It seems to be dry rotted.


Here you can see how bad the condition of the original material is.  Much of it is loose but all the edges under the chair have been nailed.  I will need to see if those nails can be removed.  Here's a shot of the underside:



That is not good.  It looks to be stuffed with straw and a loose cotton.  I'm not sure what it is but I will need to figure out what to replace it with.  It made a fair mess on my rug when I removed the bottom.

Have you ever attempted this type of sewing?  How did it turn out?

I'm off to see if youtube offers any help in this.  I do have a few books on this type of work but I think it will be easier if I can see what is being done.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment