Friday, April 27, 2018

I've Done It Now - Day 2...

Progress is being made on the chair, slowly but surely.  I will admit that right now I'm wondering why I didn't just hand this off to an upholstery store and be done with it.  At this point, I feel committed.  Here's the progress from Day 2:



This is the upper portion of the chair.  I just wanted to document how the padding is folded over the top of the chair and tacked.  Yes, I had to locate takes inside the fluff.  I'm sure I haven't found this all.  Believe when I tell you that they were tack happy.


The is the fluff at the back of the chair.  It is in good condition and I plan on reusing it.


I have had this chair for about 30 years and never noticed this little tag on the back.  Also, notice that someone spray painted the chair green.  I didn't really notice when I purchased it.  The paint didn't rub off so I suppose that was good thing.



On the finally leg of removing the tacks for the seat when I slipped and gouged my finger with the screw driver.  Sigh!  I thought that maybe just maybe I would be able to get through this without having an accident.  I had talked to my doctor about this just today regarding the rusting tacks in this chair and my tetanus shot is at 9 1/2 years.  Nope, can't do an update for 6 months.  Anyway back to the gouge.  Since I had to stop and scrub the dirty, rusty stuff off my hands and scrub really good with soap, a bit of alcohol, a bit of hydrogen peroxide, a bit of OTC antibiotic ointment, and a bandage.  I decided I was done for today.  I suppose I will be wearing a glove on that hand when working with the rusty, dusty stuff.

I've been looking at youtube for information on how to do the inside.  I think I've pretty much figured out most of the stuffing parts.  I don't think that part is going to be too difficult.  I'm a tad worried about the keeping the pattern on the fabric straight.

I already pointed out that I keeping the fluff for the back of the chair.  In looking at the jute strapping and the jute covering, they both look to be in good shape.  The front portion of the chair seat seems to need to additional padding.  At this point, I will need to decide with to just replace everything that is there or just supplement the padding.  I guess I will know more once I figure out how to removed the arms or if I'm going to remove the arms.  I may just cut out around the arm and fold the fabric around the arm.  The arm is screwed in from the inside on the seat back but there are plugs on the portion on the outside.  I am a little afraid that we might damage the finish on this if we attempt to remove the plugs. 

Maybe tomorrow I will get to see the inside of the seat.  Then I will be able to figure out just how much stuff needs to be ordered.  The adventure continues.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment