Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Another Sleeveless Top...

When I completed this top this past week, it was the hottest day of the year so far.  ACK!  I don't have enough clothing for these hot days.  Here's the top which is really a muslin:




This pattern is from the Sleeveless Top from The Versatile Twin Set Pamela's Patterns.  This is the older version of the pattern not the newer version.  Following the directions from the pattern on fitting, I'm a medium in this pattern with the darted front.  When I traced off the front, I decided to trace the small from the armhole up and a medium from the armhole down.  This was the only change that I made.  In looking at the pictures, I think I should have gone with a straight medium.  My bra straps show. 

In the first picture, I would say that I need a larger dart.  The shoulder angle might be off a little bit.  There might be a tummy issue.  Actually when you zoom in on the picture, it doesn't look like a tummy issue but the tummy is there and could be causing an issue.

In the second picture, I would say that I definitely need more width across the back and a sway back adjustment. 

All in all, this isn't a bad start on this pattern.  The top is wearable around the house making it a great top for this hot weather.  I wouldn't think of wearing it in public without a cardigan over it.  It's a shame about this top not fitting so great.  The stripes match perfectly. 

 I do think I want to give this top another try.  Here are the changes:

1.  Trace a straight medium and do the petite adjustments with a larger dart and sway back adjustment.  Maybe add to the side seam on the front so I can play with any tummy issues.

2.  Possible change - the neckline shaping.  I'm always a little leary of a neckline that replicates the face shape.  I think it may not be the most flattering.  Maybe change it to be a bit more of a v-neck.

Discussion --  Please tell me your favorite way to hem a knit.  Please note that the top is hemmed at the neck, armholes, and the bottom hemline.  It is simply turned back and stitched.  I always have difficulty with this type of instruction.  The stitching always pops when using a straight stitch.  I did try on it samples and didn't work.  I tried the straight stitch with regular thread in the top and a stretch thread in the bottom; and that didn't work.  I ended up hemming using the "lightning" stitch on my machine set to a 4.0 length and .5 width using the regular thread in both the needle and bobbin.   The hem is nice and stretchy with this stitch but it isn't pretty.  Normally, I would use a twin needle with stretch thread in the bottom.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment