Monday, February 2, 2015

V Neck Tunic Completed…

Here’s a pic of my latest creation:

I love this fabric and thought it would be perfect the V-Neck Tunic pattern by Loes Hinse Design.  There were a few challenges that I wasn’t expecting.  This sweater knit was a difficult to work with.  Serging a single layer was impossible and this stopped the sewing process down until I could go to JoAnn’s and get some mesh.  Actually, I was amazed that they had this item.  In reality, neither the serger or the sewing liked sewing on this fabric.  The serger handled one layer of the fabric with one layer of power mesh just fine.  

Ok, back to the pattern.  I combined the two views on the pattern envelope as I really wanted long sleeves with the tunic length.

Here's a close-up of the sweater knit that I used:

Coordinates perfectly with the colors chosen last fall.

I did note that on several reviews that it was mentioned that the neckline was low so I raised the neckline by an inch.    I know I will not be wearing this without some type of top under it but I wanted to draw the eye up more.   I cut ½” pieces of mesh to serge to all the edges including the neckline.  Due to the super stretchy nature of the fabric, I used the “lighting” stitch on my machine and lengthening it to 4.0 mm.  

After getting the tunic sewn together, I tried it on.  I was very surprised at how long it was in both the body length and the sleeves.  I ended up removing 4" in body length and 2" in sleeve length. Overall, I'm happy with how this top turned out.  

Now, I wonder why it took me so long to use this pattern.  Even though it took me about a month to finish this tunic, it shouldn't have taken longer than a day.  I did make a mistake and I to re-order a yard of fabric to finish the top.  I will be using this pattern again.  

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment