Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Stitching Curtains...

I enjoy stitching my own curtains.  I have a large window (72" x 72") that I have decided to make curtains.  Here's a glimpse of the window:


This is the picture the realtor sent me when we were looking at houses from Pennsylvania.  The window is more or less centered in this tiny little room and it goes almost to the floor.

I decided that I wanted a whitish linen for the curtains and got an email from fabrics-store (dot) com with a sale for just the right fabric.  It's a bleached 100% linen, heavy-weight.  Here's what it looked like upon arrival:


I took the advice of the reviewers and purchased extra fabric for shrinkage and color uniformity.  I know it's going to shrink but I'm not sure how much.  I washed and dried this a couple of times before making the curtains hoping to get as much shrinkage out of the way as possible.  I haven't actually worked with linen enough to know if this process should be done more than that.

I didn't purchase an expensive rod and I hope that I don't regret it.  Here's the rod that was purchased:


It's an inexpensive rod from Wal-mart and it's not the one that I had picked on-line.  I had originally wanted a 1" rod but when I got there nothing was available.  Hopefully, this rod will have enough oomph to hold up the curtain.

Here's the finished curtain:




For these curtains, I used a 1" double side hem, a 4" double bottom hem, and the top hem is 4" with a 1" turn back.  I did put weights in these curtains.  This is the ones I used:


They are easy enough to stitch in.  However, I did toss my curtains into the wash on gentle cycle before hanging and every one of the weights came undone.  I would say that if you intend to wash your curtains that they should be either enclosed in one of the hems or wrapped in a small piece of matching fabric and then sewn in. 

Curtains are so satisfying to make.  Just a few hems and they are done.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment