Friday, February 22, 2019

Chain Stitching with the Juki MCS-1500

This past week, I completed my first project using the Juki MCS-1500 cover stitch machine.  The project was curtains.  Since the project was just simple hemming, I thought it would be a good first project with the machine.  Here's some pictures of the how I did the hems:


This is one of the side hems pinned back and ready to stitch. I taped a needle package to the base of the machine so I would get even stitching.  Remember you will be stitching from the front.  Here's how I did the top and bottom hems:


Yep, I had to baste a line to follow for stitching.  This was challenging because:

a.  I don't like hand basting that much.
b.  There isn't a lot of room in the harp for this kind of project.
c.  The foot didn't have a good spot to match the basting to for stitching.

Here's a picture of the side hem completed:


Overall, I happy with the chain stitch.  It worked well for this application.

As far as the machine setup, I used the setting from the manual except for the needle thread which I tightened just a little bit.  I think it was about 4 1/2.  The reason I did this is I was using a serger thread in the looper and a Gutterman general sewing thread in the needle.  The Gutterman is a heavier thread.

I may invest in a chain stitching foot in the future.  I need to decide if it is worth the investment and that will depend on how much the chain stitching is used.  If the foot is a bit narrower and has better markings on it, it would be a good investment.  The up close pictures indicate that there is an additional marking to the left of the needle marking on the machine which would make it good for top stitching.  I'm looking forward to trying the chain stitch with some YLI Jeans Stitch thread.

How do you like the chain stitch?  What kind of projects are you using it for?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment