Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I did sew again today!

I haven't made it to the next set of PJs yet but I did sew today. I found this little project on another blog. I think it was Mermaids but I can't locate it. This is a little pocket that you can add to a notebook. I made this as part of a gift from my son to my husband. Here's how I made mine:

1. I took a piece of 1 1/2" petersham ribbon. Sorry not sure of the length but it will change with every project. I trimmed one end straight across, zigzagged the edge, turned under the edge and stitched across, Then I attached a 1" piece of elastic.

2. Next I figure out how long the ribbon needed to be. This was really just eye-balled. The pocket is a couple of inches from the top of the notebook. I trimmed the edge and repeated the zigzag and turn under.

3. Then I put this edge where I wanted the pocket to begin, lined up the edges of the ribbon, and straight stitched the edge (don't forget to back stitch at the start).

4. When I turned the corner at the fold, I switched back to a zigzag stitch and centered the elastic. Then, stitched up the other side of the pocket and back stitched.

Here's the results:














The perfect place to keep a pen. This took maybe 15 minutes to create. Makes a really wonderful gift. Think of all the embellishments that could be done on the ribbon.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment