Monday, January 15, 2024

Seam Rippers...

 The seam ripper is a simple tool and probably one you do not think about except when you need it.  Right?  Do you have expectations that the seam ripper will always be nice and sharp?  I did.  I had never given it much thought that it would dull.  I do not use an expensive seam ripper.  The one I uquse the most is like this one.  Just a simple Dritz seam ripper.  I own several of the Dritz seam ripper.  I also own a seam ripper like this one. My brother made this for me.  I love it and it works well when my hands are hurting or any time really.  Unfortunately at any given time, I can only find one even through I own 4 or 5.  I have not idea why they disappear so easily.

Now if you purchase a new seam ripper, it will be noticeable immediately that the old seam ripper is dull.  So, how do you sharpen a seam ripper?  I found this question/answer along with a video on usage here.  Do you follow best practices with your seam ripper?  I have to admit to only sometimes. We all have a favorite ways to do things and using the seam ripper is no exception.

For the actual sharpener, you can use steel wool.  If I looked around in husband's garage items, I am positive that I would find steel wool.  The bead reamer has my interest.  A simple google search resulted in many different versions at many different prices. I suspect, as with many tools, the price point will determine quality.  This could easily be something that can be found in the hardware section at stores.  In fact, I think I have seen similar tools while digging around in my husband's tools.

Thoughts?  Would you rather purchase a new seam ripper or sharpen an existing seam ripper?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment