Friday, April 17, 2020

Stitching, Stitching, Stitching...

I have been stitching masks.  Is that not what many around the country have been doing the last few weeks?  Whether it is to assist your local non-profit hospital or for your family and friends.  I found this to be the most boring sewing in the world and found it had to work on them.  I contacted the local hospital early in April and they sent in instructions for the type of mask they wanted and most of the masks that you see in the picture below are made from those instructions.


The hospital pattern required cloth ties.  Yes, each one had to be pressed before attaching.  I abused the fabric before and after making the masks by running them through hot water wash and hot drier.  I had to make sure that there would be no fraying.

Other patterns that I used was the pattern from Silhouette Patterns.  You can find it here on the main page of the website.  This was a quick pattern with little finishing done to it.  The other pattern I used was from Craft Passion.  You can find the pattern information here.  The shape of these two patterns are similar for adults.  Howeveer, the craft passion pattern also includes sizes for children.

I don't know how many more masks I will be making but I did tell the hospital to contact me if they wanted more.  Although I'm slow, I can still make them.  In my current location, I can only do about 5 masks a day.  Everything I do here is cut by hand.  If I was at home where I have the tools to cut strips quickly, I could maybe double that.  The killer is the pressing with the hospital masks.

So how has your sewing been lately?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment