Thursday, June 13, 2019

A Basic Top...

I decided that I need more basics in my wardrobe.  You know, the things that you reach for day in and day out.    Then, I started looking for a pattern.  As an attempt not to increase the pattern stash anymore, I went through the drawers of the pattern cabinet.  Well, low and behold, the pattern stash did yield something that looked very much like the inspiration picture.  Here it is:


Textile Studio Basic Top pattern.  I don't know if this pattern is still available anywhere but doesn't View B reminds me of a good basic woven t-shirt type top.   Here's a close up of view B:


Here's the line drawing:


I traced the largest size in the pattern and then started measuring.  Changes:

1.  Removed the allowance for the shoulder pad making changes to the front/back/sleeve.
2.  Rounded back alteration.
3.  Sway back alteration.
4.  Added length for bust.
5.  Width to sleeve.
6.   Trued hems on sleeve and bottom.

I was unable to locate any illustrations for the changes for removing the shoulder pad.  Here's a tutorial on how I did this with pattern illustrations - tutorial.

As with any pattern, once the fitting is done, you can make many versions.  Here's the finished muslin:


The fabric is a tightly woven polyester which made turning the hem at the neckline virtually impossible.  I changed the neckline from a turn back hem to use a bias facing.  I do think that I ended up with a wearable item.

Here's the knit version:



I changed the neckline on this version slightly by making it deeper by 1-inch.  Here's another look with the top tucked in:



I'm pleased with the new additions to my wardrobe.   The skirt is Amy's skirt and you can read about it here.

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment