Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The End of an Era with the Beginning of a New Era...

Over the last 5 years or so, I have slowly ended my sewing magazine subscriptions.  The last one was Threads.  I have been a subscriber of Threads since about issue 8.  Yep, I've been a subscriber since the mid-80s.  Those early issues were full of everything not just sewing but information on knitting, quilting, weaving, dying, tatting, embroidery, etc.  I'm sure I've missed a few things.  As the years went by the magazine became devoted to sewing only.  Sewing is good.  I love to sew. 

However, at some point, it really geared toward beginners or at least it felt like it did.  Gradually, the magazine has become less interesting till finally I've decided to end the subscription all together.  It's kinda sad that the Dec 2019/Jan 2021 issue will be my last.  I still have my collection of Threads hanging out in the sewing.   Yes, I have all of them.  I will be able to read them whenever I want.

So, what is the new era.  For the past few months, I've been subscribing to Seamwork.  I wanted to see what it was all about.  The content of the magazine is free and you can purchase patterns.  As a Seamwork member you have access to other areas of the website - the community, patterns, and design your wardrobe activity twice a year.

Last year, I joined Seamwork as a basic monthly member.  I enjoyed the magazine, downloaded my share of patterns, and worked through the Design Your Wardrobe workshop a couple of times.  I think the workshop (class, whatever you want to call it) is very thought provoking.  For me, it will take more than one time working through it to get a good sense of the wardrobe that I want.  Have you ever really sat down and thought about what you need outfit wise in your wardrobe?  Do you wear the things that you make?  The whole thought process is interesting and very hard.  I just changed my monthly subscription to an annual subscription.  I'm going to try this for a year or two and see where it takes me. 

If you're interested in taking the journey as well, here is my Seamwork link and it will give you $3.00 off your first month.

Hope your inspired to sew sew sew!

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment