Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Shift Dress...

I'm still trying to beat the heat.  I'm also running a little bit late.  I picked a sleeveless shift dress:


This is New Look 6500. I've selected View D to make.  This is a fairly simple view and if I want the View C pockets they can be easily added.  This style reminds me of the basic Lilly Pulitzer shift dress.  There are a few reviews at Pattern Review.  You'll have to do a search as I was unable to put in a direct link.   Here's the muslin in a size 22:



This is sewn exactly as the pattern is.  I have removed seam allowances from the sleeves and neck.  I'm a little surprised at how well this fits.  I was actually expecting something horrible with this experiment.  Things that I see:

Fitting:
1.  Shoulder angle needs to be adjusted.
2.  Dart needs to be moved and made a bit larger.
3.  It may benefit from vertical darts in the back.  This might be done after construction.

Styling:
1.  Dress needs 3 inches added to the length plus the hem.
2.  Lower neckline by about 1/2 inch.
3.  Adjust armhole.

With the exception of length, I think the fitting changes could me made to the this muslin and then transfer to the pattern.  As far as styling, the neckline changes can be made but the changes to the armhole will depend on what I decide to do.

I'm planning on lining this dress so I went looking for on line resources (why do I have a library?).  Here's one that I found for drafting facing - all in one facing, and for sewing all in one facing.

Here's the pink dress in a Brussels Washer Linen Blend:


I did forget to mention that I lined this dress with a white cotton lawn.  Even though this dress looks a bit like a pillow case on me, I believe I will still get plenty of wear out of when the weather becomes unbearable.

I think I'm going to make one more sleeveless dress and  I might make another version at a later date.  A simple dress with sleeves is always a winner.  Here are some additional tutorials that may be of some use:

1.  Invisible Zipper Installation
2.  How to Sew a Skirt Lining to Your Zipper by Sewing Machine

I didn't do the sewing the lining to the dress.  I kinda chicken out.  Maybe on another version.

Hope you are inspired to stitch something beautiful.

Happy Stitching!







No comments:

Post a Comment