Monday, February 5, 2018

Inspiration...A Simple Pencil Skirt....

I love the simplicity of a simple skirt.  I have really been looking at the Alabam Chanin Pencil Skirt.  Here's a glimpse:

You really can't get much simpler than this.  Skirt is made from 2 layers of jersey with an elastic waistband.  It does have a center back seam with what is called a kick pleat but looks like a godet.  I'm sure this is considered a basic on the website but the price tag of $368 is a bit steep for me.  I have no objection to someone getting paid a living wage for doing this type of work.  Yet, I keep looking at this skirt.  The pattern isn't yet available via the webiste. Today, I realized that I do indeed have a pattern that will work for the above skirt.  It is "The Magic Pencil Skirt" by Pamela's Patterns



I made a version recently.  You can see it in this post.  I think I can duplicate a knee-length version of this skirt by making the following changes to The Magic Skirt pattern:

1.  Remove the 2-inches at the top plus any fitting changes.
2.  Remove the 1 1/2-inches for the hem.
3.  Add exposed elastic at the waist.
4.  Create a back seam and add a godet.

Actually, this is fairly small list of changes for this duplication.  I want to do this.  This would be a fairly good duplication of one of the Alabam Chanin garments.  I want to make one of her garments and I'm taking the Craftsy class for making a swing skirt.  This skirt would definition be easier for a first try at hand sewing a garment.  I may need to give a little more thought to this.  I'm fairly certain that the Magic Skirt pattern can be used with good results. 

I would need to create a complete outfit for this skirt to work in the wardrobe.  I've been wanting to make a basic t-shirt, also.  The question is "Should the top and skirt both be plain little basics with my extra embroidery or applique?"

My list of projects that I want to complete is getting very long.  I suppose dreaming about them is better than buying everything to complete the item and putting it in the stash to find much later.

What are your thoughts?  Do you think that the Magic Skirt pattern would work for this duplication?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment