Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Topper For Kitchen Cart....

Before we moved to our new home, I knew that I would have an issue with counter space.  So, I went on the hunt for a small kitchen cart that would be used as a coffee cart.  I found this cart at Target in black:


Sorry, there were not any available pictures in the black but it gives you an idea of the space.  This little cart fits at the end of the counter.  Due to the messiness of coffee making at our house, I knew that I would eventually want to add a padded surface to this cart so I picked up a coffee related print from my store.  Here's a picture of the print:


Fun print for a coffee stand, don't you think?

So, I set about drawing a pattern for the top which wasn't exactly the size that I thought.  Here's the results:



I drew the pattern to 18" x 20" with 1/2" seam allowances. Next I cleared off the little cart and placed the seams on the edges to see how accurate it was.  The pattern was a little bit big.  I took a crayon and re-drew two sides.  Here is the result:


It was a very small about amount that needed to be removed.  Maybe 1/8" on two sides.   It is easier just to take a slightly larger seam allowances.  My machine was -.06mm.

So, the little pad will have two layers of cotton batting to help absorb any spills.  I snipped the cotton out of the corners.  Here's the mat after being pressed and on the cart to check the size:



Looking good at the almost there stage. Here's the finished items after top stitching and quilting:


It looks like the quilting and/or the cotton batting shrunk the topper.  I still like it though.  Here it is in use:



I did make 2 of these toppers so that there should always be one available.  I do still have fabric and might make a third after I see how it works out.

I took the scraps and made a little cotton stuffed tube.  This was an impulse item that I thought might be usually.  Here's the little tube:


The tube is only about 19-inches long.  It looks a little bit like a draft catcher.  I'm going to call it a crumb catcher.  The stove in the new house has gaps between the stove and the counter and you know everything that can will fall there.  The little tube will be there to prevent stuff from falling between the cabinet and the stove.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment