Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Butterfly Chair Covers...

My son requested that I make some new butterfly chair covers for Christmas.  I admit that I groaned just a little bit.  I had made one cover a few years ago.  I found the pattern and some fabric but not enough to make a cover.  Here is the post with the picture of that cover.  You will have to scroll down a bit to find the cover.  I was really hoping to find some instructions because I wrote very few notes on the pattern.  Unfortunately, no additional notes.

Oh, the request was also for the same fabric and color combination.  So, I began the search for the black canvas.  I settled on a 9 oz canvas from James Thompson at fabric dot com.  The last cover was a 10 oz canvas that I had in stock at my store.  Oh, why didn't I keep more of the fabric.  Fortunately, I found enough of the gold canvas in the stash to create the stripe.  Yes, stash reduction.

The width of the pattern is just enough that I had to cut each piece of the cover individually.  Yes, this is 4 cover pieces and 4 padding pieces.  This doesn't include all the little pieces that are needed for pockets and support.  So, it was cut, cut, cut, iron, iron, iron, stitch, stitch, stitch.  Here are the covers:




The top picture is the black front with the gold stripe.  The bottom picture is the back where you can see all the pockets.  Each pocket has two velcro strips to place around the poles and strapping to help support the cover on the frame.  I did add an additional support fabric in each fabric in hopes that it will help support the pockets.  The pockets are the weak area of the whole cover.

I hope my son gets a few years of wear out of them.  I do not believe that I will want to make another set of covers.  Hopefully, by the point, he will no longer be a student and have a full-time job.

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment