Monday, June 1, 2015

May's Garden....

May was a busy month in the garden.  We planted lots of flowers and vegetables.  The perennials were/are beautiful.  Unfortunately, the weather did get hot before I took a lot of pictures but I did get a few. Here are the totals for May:

Asparagus - unknown.  I forgot to weigh it but we had fresh asparagus a couple of times a week for 4 or 5 weeks .

Lettuce - 2 lbs 3/8oz - there is nothing better than fresh lettuce.

Parsley -  3/8 oz - I strongly suspect that I missed weighing and/or writing this down.

Sage - 3/8 oz - this is only picked as needed.  Harvest is actually in the fall.

Chive Flowers - 1 1/2 lbs -  yum, yum

Chives - unknown, I missed weighing and/or writing it down.

Spinach was available also but I decided not to harvest as the leaf miners attacked before I was able to pick it and I didn't really want to eat the larvae.

I have also been working on restocking the jelly.  So far, I have made 15 half pints of strawberry jam and 6 pints of blueberry.   I think the next round of jelly making will be at the end of June when the apples are ready.

Here's a few pics:


The 1 1/2 lbs of chive blossoms are marinating in white vinegar.  In a couple of weeks, I should have some beautiful chive vinegar.  Flowers from around the garden:




Two of the three iris varieties bloomed.  We're not sure why the 3rd type didn't bloom.  We made the assumption that it was something to do with the severe winter we had.  If you happen to know why irises quite blooming I would like to hear about it. These flowers are in various places around the house.




Love the poppies.  These are also in various places around the house.  We had attempted to move the poppies only to find out that we would get poppies in the spot we wanted them and where they were originally located.  They are beautiful though when they bloom even it is only lasts for a couple of days.


I do love the peonies.  This is another plant that we attempted to move and ended up with them everywhere.   I do enjoy using these for cut flowers.  The buds have opened since this picture was taken and it rained before I could make any bouquets.

Hope you making more time for sewing than me.

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment