Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Love Notions Ballard Blouse Muslin...

 I purchased the Loved Notions Ballard Top pattern when it was published in May.  Here is the line drawings:


There are lots of sleeve options with this one.  The v-neck is the first thing I was attracted to, then it was the shirring.  The muslin will not have the shirring.  I suppose I should practice it a little bit but I don't have any elastic with me at the moment.  It will be a trip to JoAnn.  I will double check before driving over there.  

The instructions put me in a Medium but I decided to make the Large full bust front with hips out to a X-Large.  It could be that I need the Medium at the shoulders but I definitely need a larger armscye.  Here is my version straight from the pattern:


I think this fit is a little tighter than intended.  I can see wrinkling around the bust that indicted that I need a larger dart.


Left side view.  Definitely need a larger bust dart.  I also see indication of needing a high round back alteration.

 I do not really see any additional changes needed here.


Right side.   Changes needed no different than the left side.

The changes I'm going to make to this muslin is pin in a dart and slice the yoke to add an insert of fabric.  I will start with 1/2-inch.  I will also add the sleeves.  Here is the muslin with those changes:


Front...I can see a little bit of difference with the two sides.  There is a dart stitched in just below the camera.  That dart will be moved to the gathers at the yoke.


Left side (I think).  The sleeve looks good.  I do not actually see any additional gaping at the sleeve.


Back.  It does not look too bad.  I will need to think about this a little bit and look closer at the original photo.  This looks like I might need more room in the hip and perhaps a sway back alteration.  It could just be the elastic waist wide legged pants I have on also.


It looks like a need a little more darting.  Now, I see what is causing the bubble on the back,  I did not release the side seam where the dart is.  

 I also made changes to the sleeve.  I believe that I added 1-inch to each side of the sleeve using the pivot and slide method.  This also meant that I had to add to the sleeve band.  I really think I am ready to move changes to the pattern and make a couple of tops.  I want to make a sleeveless version and one with the banded sleeve like above.

I am sporting a new hair cut.  It had been 16-months since the last hair cut and I really needed it badly.  When I got to the salon, the stylist said "Oh, your hair has gotten so long." .   Then when she got a closer look at it, she did not really want to cut because she liked my curls.  You can see that length was removed and there is still ringlets.  I have not doubt I will miss the messy ponytails on hot days but I am happy with the cut for now.

Happy Stitching!



No comments:

Post a Comment