Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Buttons, Button Placement, Etc.

Do you ever give the buttons on the front of your shirt any thought?  How about when you are making a shirt?  What happens when the button that you want is not in the size needed?

This recently happened to me.  I made this cute top and did not give any thought to the button size suggested in the pattern until the shirt was ready for the buttons and buttonhole.  Image my surprise when the button required was 3/8".  Oh, I have a huge button collection but few in that size and not in the color needed.  This meant that I had to go shopping (it is scary here because I am in a hot spot for the covid 19 virus).  So, I stopped at the Walmart closest to my parents house in hopes they that might have some buttons.  The area is still pretty cleared but there were bags of buttons in mixed sizes.  Nope, the smallest size is 7/16".  Yes, that would probably work but I choice not to make it work and look for the correct size.  Another day, I was close to JoAnn. They did have exactly one style and color needed.  Everything is so picked over.

So, have you thought about what you should do in the situation?  Ideally, I would have noticed that I needed buttons before cutting out the shirt.  At the pattern stage, it should be is easy to fix.  So I poked around until I found this article on Button Placket Adjustment for Larger Buttons by Itch to Stitch.  Larger buttons require larger buttonholes.  Here is how to calculate button hole size - Beautifully Buttoned an article at Bluprint.  Here is a little more information about button placement by Itch to Stitch.

What do you do if you have added length to the shirt which in turn requires additional buttons?  When I was stitching my husband's shirts last month, I found a youtube video that explains how to find center front along with button and buttonhole place.  I can not find the video that I watched but there are a ton of them on youtube. 

Hopefully, you have found some interesting information.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment