Friday, January 18, 2019

Fifth Avenue Cape...

I'm finally getting around to the Fall Silhouette patterns.  Yes, I know I've been taking my time.


So, I'm starting with the Fifth Avenue Cape in the following knit:


This is the Black Honeycomb Double Knit from Fabric Mart.  When I first received it, I thought it felt too synthetic but it was much nicer after washing.

I found a new-to-me stretch thread that I decided to use with this project.  It's Eloflex thread .  Here's my testing with the thread:



Above you can see my test strips.  The first picture shows 10-inches of the fabric and the second picture shows that I can stretch it to 15-inches.


Here's the test seam.  You can see that it stretched ever so slightly.  The 10-inch area is now about 10 1/4-inches long. 


In this picture, you can see that the test seam was able to stretch just as much as the fabric without the seam.  I thought that was pretty impressive.  It is so easy to pop a hem in a t-shirt that has been sewn on a sewing machine.  Maybe I will invest a little more in this type of them.  I really do like being able to sew knit on the sewing machine without have issues.

Now back to the cape pattern.  Several people have made this little cape/jacket, whatever you want to call it.  To me, it is more of a jacket than a cape.  There has been a lot of discussion regarding this pattern and how it is put together.  Peggy did a youtube sew along recently using this pattern - here.

Here's my version of the Fifth Avenue Cape:




This is the cape with the collar unzipped.  It seems like the collar is a little over whelming.



Here's the jacket with the collar zipped closed and it has been washed.



The is the cape with the collar partially zipped.

Here's my conclusion of the pattern:

1.  This is not a beginner pattern.  Be sure to view the youtube sewalong.   Be sure to check all the directions before starting and make notations of pattern markings on the fabric.  Also be aware that not all the markings are on the pattern and you will have to put them in yourself (i.e., pockets).

2. I'm not sure how I feel about this cape/jacket.  It is certainly different.  The fabric is a little spongy which made the zipper application a little difficult.  There was a lot of hand basting involved which really slowed it down.  It was suppose to be one easy session. Hah!  This may very well be a good example of fabric and pattern not matching up well.

3. I might make this again in a light weight drapey fabric that can be pressed and in a much smaller size.

What are your thoughts of this pattern?  Have you made it?

Happy Stitching!




No comments:

Post a Comment