Tuesday, January 22, 2019

A Little Re-purposing...

Today is about a little project that used an old bath towel.  We hand wash a lot of the items in our kitchen.  Don't get me wrong, I do use the dishwasher but not for everything.  Here's the area to the left of my sink where stuff is usually placed after washing:


It's not a large space.  I mentioned something to my husband about perhaps making a mat to put the dishes on before leaving.  He must have liked the idea because when I came home he had drawn up a pattern:


Okay, the pattern is flipped the wrong way but I think you get the idea.  I had a old bath towel that was just taking up space and some left over cotton fabric from a previous project.  Here's the results:


There you have a little mat that fits in the funny little spot perfectly.  Things that I did:  

1.  Added 1/2-inch all the way around for a seam.

2.  I did trim the toweling out of each of the corners so that when I folded the corners there would be less bulk.

3.  Stitched 1/4-inch edge stitching to close up the opening for turning.

4.  I did minor quilting every 4-inches replicating the edges.

Now, the little mat needs to be washed and it will be ready to use.  I would put this in the quick and easy category.  It is satisfying to stitch something that is relatively easy.  I think this took about an hour to stitch total.

Happy Stitching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment