Thursday, August 30, 2018

Wardrobe Building....

What kind of sewist are you?  Are you a person who just like to sew?  Do you just decide to make an item and make it? or do you sew with a plan?

As I've gotten older, fitting the patterns as gotten harder whether it's from the extra fluff or shoulders moving forward from sitting at a desk all day.  Things just seem to shift around making muslins a necessity.

I have been trying the last couple of years to make or purchase items that work together.  I started this with Starting From Scratch at The Vivienne Files.  There is a ton of information at that website regarding wardrobe building.  I've watched along with the 6-PAC sewing over at Stitcher's Guild under Fashion, Style, & Wardrobe. The basic formula is 2 jackets/cardigans or layering pieces, 2 tops, 2 bottoms. This follows the seasons so that you can be ready with a couple of new outfits for the next season.  I have never successfully completed this.  I have made a couple of items generally tops.  There is also a SWAP sewing event at Stitcher's Guild.  I have never participated in that.  It is more than I want to think about at once, generally. 

So let's fast forward to what I'm working on this month.  I started the Design Your Wardrobe session at Seamwork.  This is been very thought provoking and well worth the time.  I have no idea if I will make all the items that are in my little plan but it has certainly been a journey getting here.  I'm going to see where this little journey takes me but I can tell you that I really want to clean out my closet. I will be pointing out items that I make as I sew along that belong to the plan made with Design Your Wardrobe.  Let's see how I do.

What inspires you to sew?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment