Friday, August 3, 2018

Serger Frustrations...

I seems like ages ago that I purchased the Juki MO-1000 but it has been less than two years.  Here's a link to the post that proves it - here.  I've had the machine since October 2016 and oh, how I miss the Husqvarna 936.  It is not just the electronics that I miss but the stitch quality.  Before I disposed of the non-functioning 936, I copied all of information on the different stitches to create a cheat sheet of sorts and it has certainly come in handy.  I will admit that I didn't mess with the MO-1000 much in 2017 as it was a crazy year filled with all sorts of the life changes. 

Frankly, I am almost ready to throw in the towel on this machine.  Just to get a decent stitch takes an hour or more of tweaking the settings and that is with using the above mention cheat sheet and the manual.  So, I really have to start a day or two before I am wanting to sew to get the machine set up to stitch properly. 

Maybe I just haven't really made friends with this machine. The threading is good with this machine for the most part.  I do have issue with the needle threader.  Maybe I just need to have the machine serviced.  It is always possible that the move wasn't so good on the machine even though I hand carried it across country.  Yes, I hand carried all of my portable machines.  The ones in cabinets were moved by the moving company.

It seems that the only seam width I can get out of this machine is about 1/4".  It might be a little wider but I really want a 3/8" seam width.  Doesn't it figure that I can not do better than that at least with a twill.  For the latest project that means that every seam will need to be done on the sewing machine and finished on the serger so that I have enough of a seam allowance to topstitch. ACK!  So much for a quick project.  Serging alone is always faster and yes, I know that the serger is rarely used entirely by itself. 

I think I need to purchase some fabric that will be dedicated just for serger play and get all of my toys that I have with my machine and see if I can get some better results.  I will create a workbook showing each stitch along with the fabric sample and list all of the setting to achieve that look. I will document my journey here.

I'm going to need some luck with this little project.  As frustrating as it seems, I need to either bond with this machine or move on and find a different machine. 

I suppose part of my frustration with this machine is that so many people love this machine.  My very first serger was a Bernette that had been made by Juki. I loved that little serger and even passed it along to someone who continued the love when I purchased the 936.  Maybe I should locate a dealer who can service the machine and then start the notebook. Too many decisions.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment