Friday, March 23, 2018

Pencil Skirt...

Back in February, I talked about the Alabama Chanin Pencil Skirt.  I could not quit thinking about my idea to duplicate the skirt.  Here's my finished version:




Pattern used:  The Magic Pencil Skirt pattern by Pamela's Patterns
Fabric used:  Fabric Merchants Cotton Jersey in black from fabric.com

Actual pattern changes:

1.  Folded 1-inch down from the top plus fitting changes.
2.  Straightened side seam at the hem line leaving pattern length.
3.  Add fold over elastic at waistline.
4.  Created a center back seam and added a small godet.

Progress Photos:



hand sewn darts and waistband



godet



felled seam


I did make a few changes to the pattern changes from the original list made in February.  Here's why:

1.  I changed elastic from an exposed 1-inch black elastic to a fold over elastic.
2.  I left the original hem length because I found out that the jersey is suppose to roll about 1-inch to the right side.


Conclusion:

I enjoyed the process of hand sewing a skirt.  I did make mistakes and had to restart but that is part of the learning process. The Magic Pencil Skirt pattern was a great skirt to use for this process.  It remains to be seen whether or not the fabric will work out well.  It was a little bit on the thin side.  I need to locate a company that carries a heavier type of jersey for future items.

Have you tried to duplicate any basic items from Alabama Chanin?  If so, how did it turn out?  Did you enjoy the process?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment