Friday, August 29, 2014

Wardrobe Considerations...Another Round of Purchases....

This fall and winter I'm going to attempt to follow along with the "Start From Scratch" wardrobe advice at The Vivienne Files (at blogspot).  I'm not following through the advice step by step necessarily but I am looking at concept.  My first purchase were handbags.  Both items are in use.  I went shopping today at Kohl's with all my coupons in hand and tried to stay within my color plan.  The post for the color plan is here.  Wow!  This was much harder than I thought it was going to be.  All items in the rose/fuchsia color range were very casual.  I did try on a couple of items but decided against them.  The teal colors that were so popular throughout the summer seem to be missing so far for fall.  I did however find the following items:


This lovely Dana Buchman knit top has three of the colors in it -  black, grey, and a teal.  I loved the colors of this knit.  What I didn't love was the fact that is was sooooo low at the neckline.  It also seems to be a bit long on me.  It seems to a little closer to tunic length on me.  In the picture above, the top is about at the hip line.  It is a couple inches longer than that on me.  I will shorten it if it bothers me.  With the neckline being so low, I decided to add this:


Yes, the camisole is a necessity with the above top.  This item will probably be one of the most worn of the items that I purchased today.   I consider this a layer piece.  It will be worn under other items and never by itself.


The next item is a Dana Buchman ponte skirt.  This should be something that is worn a lot.  It is very long and will most likely be worn with a pair of pair boots.  I'm hoping that I will be able to wear the above top with it.  We'll see if I can get them styled together in such a way that I think it wearable.  One last item:


I decided that I really needed a belt and it had to be a wide belt to go along with the waistband on the skirt.  Of course, accessories of this type isn't something that Kohl's excels at.  This style of belt has been around for three or four years.  In fact, I think I have the same style of belt in brown.

I feel good about my purchases.  I only spent about $35.00.  When I got back to my car I realized that I had another $10.00 coupon that I missed picking up.

Here's my items so far:

1.  1 pair of black pants (from previous season)
2.  1 long sleeved black t-shirt (from previous season)
3.  short and tall black boots (from previous season)
4.  long charcoal skirt
5.  3/4 length knit top in 3 of the 4 colors
6.  black belt
7.  2 black purses

It looks like I have at least 3 complete outfits from the items listed above.  I guess next I should look for the grey pants, long-sleeved grey top, a rose top, and a teal top.   The pants should be easy.  The tops might be challenging to locate.  I need to inspect the stash to see if there is any fabric that will work.  It would be nice to be able to reduce the stash while I work on this wardrobe.

I wish I knew how to make one of those cute little pictures that I see other people doing with wardrobes plans.  If you know how, please let me know.  My sewing plans are to keep working on my grey vest and work on a baby blanket.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment