Monday, August 4, 2014

Gardening...The July Totals

The garden has started producing and keeping me busy.  There has been lots of fresh produce:

    1.  Peas - 2 lbs 12 5/8oz
    2.  Lettuce - 5 lbs 15 3/8oz
    3.  Chives - 2 1/4oz
    4.  Cilantro - 2 3/8 oz
    5.  Basil - 2 oz
    6.  Broccoli - 6 5/8 oz
    7.  Verdolagas (purslane) - 15 1/4oz
    8.  Apples -
        a.  1 apple pie
        b.  (13) 1/2 pints of apple preserves
        c.  (16) pints of unsweetened apple sauce
    9.  Beans - 6 lbs 10 7/8 oz
  10.  Squash - 11 lbs 7 5/8 oz
  11.  Hot Banana Peppers - 3 lbs 2 1/2oz
       a.  Amish Hot Pepper - 10 pints
  12.  Jalapenos - 8 5/8oz
  13.  Wax Beans - 1 lbs 14 1/4oz
  14.  Tomatoes - 3 lbs 2 1/2oz
  15.  Carrots - 3 oz

I have been keeping up with the garden the way that I should be.  It's so easy to forget how long it takes to keep everything going.  The weather has been strange the past week as in the temps have been in the high 40s/low 50s F at night and this is affecting the plants in the garden.  The peppers are looking like they normally do in October.  This makes me wonder if we are going to have a short season this year.  The tomatoes started coming in early.  I've even had to pick a few of the green tomatoes.  I will need to figure out what to do with them.  Let me know if you have a good recipe.

I can see looking at the totally that maybe the broccoli needs to be removed from the garden rotation.  We never seem to get much broccoli and it takes up a lot of space.  We mostly get a lot of greenery.  I haven't included all of the items that were tried this month in the totals.  Here's a couple of pictures:



Isn't it amazing how quickly the garden grow?  These pictures are from the 2nd week of July.  The squash is already dying back. I don't know if it is from the bugs or if it is from the cold weather. One last picture of one of the fawns:


Yes, there are two fawns.  I scared them away after taking this picture and haven't seen them since.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that the apples are gone.  I know they are still around because the evidence it all around the house.  There is a third little plot that doesn't have a fence and the hot peppers/tomatoes there are feed.

Happy Gardening! (or should it be Stitching!)

No comments:

Post a Comment