Monday, August 25, 2014

Don’t You Love a Busy Weekend?

Once in a while, I like to have busy weekend but still have a little bit of time to relax.  That is how it was this past weekend.

Saturday, DH and I got up early to go to the laundromat.  There are times when it is very necessary.  I had replaced a comforter and the old comforter was still in very good condition.  So, I decided to donate it but I don’t like donating items that are not clean.  My washer was not big enough to handle a queen size comforter.  I needed a commercial size tub.  I hope that someone else can enjoy it. 

When we returned from the laundromat, I jumped right into canning tomatoes.  It seems like I had a lot of tomatoes and ended up with 9 pints and 3 quarts.  Really, that is a lot of canning for me.  I was also finishing up the household laundry during this time period.  Then, I decided to do some of the stuff that doesn’t get washed as often – blankets. 

Oh, my day wasn’t finished yet.  Next, I cut out the muslin for Simplicity 1499.  I found a remnant of a teal colored fleece.  Easy peasy.  Big plus, another yard of fleece out of the storage area.  My zippers had arrived last week. When I was digging through the fleece stash, I found a charcoal piece of fleece that will be perfect for my planned wardrobe for fall/winter.  So, now, I will be making two vests – one in charcoal fleece and one in black French terry.  Both should be nice and warm this winter as a third layer.

Sunday is always my super busy day.  We don’t get home from church till 1:30 to 2:00 range.  Since DH left early this morning for a fun day in New Mexico before his conference, I decided to sew.  I made the long pillow case today:


I don’t know why I procrastinated making this pillow case.  I had already decided that since I couldn't find the color of thread that I wanted and ended up using a gray that I wasn't going to do any special stitches on it.  Yeah, you guess it, it took less than 30 minutes to make it.  So, one project for the bedroom finished. 

With the sewing out of the way, I moved on to the vest.  Simplicity 1499 is a quick sew for a muslin. Here is a couple of quick pics:



Not too bad for a rough run through. Overall, the fit isn't too bad. There is a bubble at the princess seam on the front and it looks like there is a bit of a length issue in the back.  Look my hair decided to be curly today.

I also managed to get the fabric pressed and ironed for a baby blanket that I'm planning.  The pattern is a variation on a chevron.

Here's a parting shot of my little buddy:


He's generally nearby.  Why do cats like boxes?  Especially boxes that are a little bit too small for them.  I had tossed this box on the floor to see if he would show any interest in it.  He actually spends a lot of time sitting/laying in the box.  It makes it kinda hard to throw it away. Doesn't he look like a sad little kitty in this picture?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment