Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Checking A New Pant Pattern....

 I recently picked up Simplicity 9376 and a new pattern fitting book.  Here is the pattern:


and here is the fitting book:


I bumped into the book via a mini pant pattern class and decided to purchase it.  It is available on Gina Renee Designs website.

Since I had just purchased these two items, I decided to check the balance of the pattern per the book.  I found a couple of things:

First, the pattern did not match from front to back.  You know that frustrating thing where the seamlines are different lengths.  I did check and the front inseam being 1/2" longer and that is okay.  

Second, the balance line at the crotch does not match.  When forcing a match with the crotch line, there is about an inch difference in the length.   

This sent me back to the pattern description which is that this pattern is a trouser.  The difference in the measurements according to the fitting book would indicate that this pant is intended to be skinny.  I need to study the book more to figure out what needs to be done to balance this pattern. I found this discussion on checking balance on a basic pant pattern at pattern review - https://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/109367/1 .

Here are a few questions:

1.  Do you spend time to walk a pattern before cutting out?

2.  Have you ever checked the balance of a pants pattern or any other?  If so, how did it turn out?  

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment