Friday, August 27, 2021

Forgotten Fashion Designers...

 Last week, I did an inspiration post on a wrap coat. You can view the post here.  A reader gave information on Bonnie Cashin Noh Coat from Threads #31 Oct/Nov 1990.  This lead me down the rabbit hole of "Who was Bonnie Cashin?".

Turns out Bonnie Cashin is someone we should recognize.  According to this article here, she is the the creator of American Sportswear.  What?  I think I thought that was attributed to Ralph Lauren.  Then, I found another article here, this article shows pictures of Bonnie's work along with pictures of identical items today being sold by designers.  Wouldn't that make her designs timeless?  

On the wikipedia page, it states that she was the first designer for Coach.  It also states that she designed for many other companies.  She also designed patterns for home sewers and I was able to locate one.  It can be seen here at the Vintage Sewing Patterns site.  The Met Museum has a collection of Bonnie Cashin designs - here.  Many items from the collection could easily be worn today.

I have no doubt that there is more material regarding this designer.  It really is interesting to see and learn a little bit about this designer.  Maybe some day I will get to return to the Met and will be able to see the creations in person.

Happy Stitching! 


No comments:

Post a Comment