Tuesday, January 23, 2018

New Bookshelf...

I haven't said much about the new house since we arrived.  Things have been busy getting the house painted inside, replacing dead appliances, repairing plumbing, etc.  My furniture didn't move well to the house and I'm still not sure about the current arrangement but at some point you have to quit and enjoy life a little bit, right?

I had gotten rid of all but two bookshelves thinking that I would be able to get the remaining books on them.  Well, I truly underestimated the number of books that were kept.  Going through them again did remove a few more but still not enough space for the items we wanted to keep.  So, I started looking for a small bookcase that could go into the living area.  I couldn't find anything, anywhere and I looked at furniture stores, used furniture stores, flea markets, craigslist, etc.   I finally gave up and found this on Pinterest:


Here's the link to the pallet bookcase.  This was about what I wanted.  I hadn't thought much about pallet wood but I did like the look of this.  So, I showed it to my husband and he said "I can do it."  I gave him the dimensions that I was thinking about and found "free" pallets that looked like they would yield so nice wood.  Many hours later, I had this:


I think DH did a fabulous job building the bookcase.  My radio fits nicely on top with a bit of room to add decorative elements on the top shelf.  The big bonus is two shelves for books.  DH immediately put many cookbooks on one shelf.  The other shelf will be reading materials.


Another view of the bookshelf.,,,


....and yet another view of the bookshelf.  I'm very proud of my little bookshelf.  Since the picture was taken, I moved the bookshelf slightly to the left to center it a little better in that small opening. 

My husband worked very hard on this.  Taking a pallet apart is an amazing amount of work.  Of course, this is lots of sanding involved, also.

I have already given him another project from the Anna White site. I'll share it when it's complete.

Back to the stitching!

Happy Stitching!



No comments:

Post a Comment