Monday, January 29, 2018

Inspiration....

Another window shopping trip to Neiman Marcus, today I found a lovely, simple sheath dress by Eileen Fisher:


I love the simple shape of this dress but this dress is made from a silk georgette crepe and this isn't a type of fabric for my current lifestyle.  However, this is a good basic style for me now.  At least, I think it is.  Details of the dress:  Eileen Fisher Silk Georgette Self-Tie Crepe Dress; price tag:  $398.00.

I'll save some cash and rummage through the pattern stash.  Here's what I found:





Both patterns have been in my stash for years.  Can I produce an equivalent dress with one of these patterns?  I suppose it never hurts to try.  I may even have something in the stash that will produce one of the dress.  I think the Basic Dress is really closest to the inspiration dress by shortening it and adding a tie belt.

Let's see what type of fabric either dress requires.  View A of the New York Dress (left) is for stretch knits.   View A of the Basic Dress (right) is for soft drapey fabrics such as knits, rayon or wool crepe, textured rayon, rayon/silk cut velvet, rayon/silk sheers.  So, Basic Dress is the winner here.

I may very well have a drapey rayon in the stash.  I will have to figure out fit first which will require at least one muslin.  Simple may not be as simple as it seems by the time I get done adding darts.

By the way, did you know that Textile Studio Patterns had closed?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment