Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Knowing When To Give Up...

 How do you know when to give up?  

I found a lovely looking blue/white stripe knit in my stash that was 1 1/3 yards which is just large enough to make a t-shirt.  No idea what the fiber content is but it feels like a cotton blend of some sort.  With this length of yardage, the fabric needs two folds to cut out a t-shirt in my size.  Okay, that is easy enough.  Hah!  I have spent a week working with this fabric trying to get lay flat.  Just so you know, all four edges are curled.  Maybe that means that there is some lycra in the blend.  I did a running stitch down one of the stripes so I could attempt to have even stripes.  I careful pinned the edges in the middle while measuring to make each side even.  I finally got one side flat and even. Moving to the other side nope not going to happen.  The only thing is would do was twist.  

Folks, my patience is gone.  I am throwing the towel in on this fabric.  This is the first time that I can remember that I have been unable to tame a piece of fabric.  I might circle back to it and cut out something in the future in a single layer but there are a lot of other things to do.  Here is a  little gander at my mess:


I will admit that I thought briefly of starching the fabric but I was a little considered that I might accidently stretch the fabric and the starch force it to stay.  

I have a ton of fabric so this is not a complete loss.  There is more fabric in my stash that I will probably be able to use in my remaining lifetime but I am going to try.

How do you handle this type of issue?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment