Monday, April 27, 2015

Technique...Sewing Curves

This past Saturday was sewing day with my sewing buddy.  This month was about curves.  I had purchased a new foot that I wanted to explore.  It is the 1/4" Curve Master Presser Foot.  Here's what it looks like:


The package on the left contains adapters to fit most machines.  The foot is on the left.  Notice how short it is.  I had previously done a post on this foot that contains links to how-to videos.  Here's a link to that post -  Curve Master Presser Foot.  This post contains links to the product and various other videos by the manufacturer.  Since this foot is meant to do curves, I decided to purchase a Drunkard's Path template set:


This was the first time I've used a template set with a rotary cutter. It turned out well and without any incidents.  Here's my first attempts at using the Curve Master Presser Foot:



Of the eight blocks that I did, I had problems with two of them.  One, I made the dumb user error of sewing right side to wrong side.  The other, I think that I stretched the corner piece.  I was impressed with this foot.   I was able to sew the blocks without any pins and they look good.  I haven't decided yet what I'm going to make with these blocks but I think I have enough of fabric to create either a table runner or some place mats,

The next type of curve we tried was the free form curves.  We both really liked this technique.  We watched the video from Man Sewing on curved piecing.  Looks easy doesn't it?  I started with two fat quarters and here are my results:



How fun is this?  I used a regular presser foot with this technique following the instructions from Man Sewing.  I did try the 1/4" curve presser foot with one row of stitching and I preferred to use the regular presser foot for my machine on this technique.  I haven't decided what I'm going to make with these two items or if I'm going to continue the technique all the way across.  There is still a few decisions to make.  I have about 3/4 yard of each fabric left.

The one thing that I did learn is not to hold the fabrics together as you would with most sewing.  Of course, that means that you're using both hands to hold the fabric but it works well.  Just take your time and enjoy the process.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment