Friday, July 26, 2024

Sewjo and The Mending Pile...

 In early July, I did a post on kick starting the sewjo by getting the mending done.  The mending pile turned out to be deeper than I remember but it is done and I am ready to sew.  Here is what I did:

1.  Mending a hole in a caftan.  This was just a simple repair with a light weight backing backing and thread.  All done by hand.

2.  Replaced elastic in 2 pair of pjs and 1 knit skirt.  Oh, how I hated removing all the stitches.  Replacing the elastic was very easy.

3.  Replace elastic in 2 slips.  I went the easy route here and just cut the elastic off.  Easy peasy mostly.  I couldn't find my lingerie elastic.  JoAnn Fabrics doesn't seem to carry lingerie elastic that will fit me anymore.  They're carrying a new brand that cuts the elastic to 30-inches instead of 36-inches.  I used a knit elastic to complete the project.

4.  Hemmed pants for my Mom.  This is not an enjoyable task for me.  I have no idea why I dislike this type of alteration but I do.  Love you, Mom.

5.  Mended a pair of jeans.  Did you know that mending a small one hole in a pair jeans can increase the life of the jeans by 6 or 7 years?  Now, I will admit that I do not care much about mending.  However, the quality of jeans just keep decreasing.  Some of the Levi's that I am repairing are 10 years old.  There is huge difference in the fabric from the older jeans to the newer jeans.  My guess is that even older jeans have a nicer quality of fabric.  

So the mending that I did, did do a kick start on the sewing mood.   Now, it is time to sew.  I may make a few items for hot weather but I suspect that I will start some cooler weather so I will have them ready to go. Maybe I will alternate between sewing warm weather clothes, cool weather clothes, and home dec.  That should keep things interesting.

Do you sew a head of the season?

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment