Friday, February 19, 2021

Duffle Bag...

 Last fall I joined the Grand Lake Duffle Bag Sew Along at Sew Daily.  Here's a view of the pattern:


I dug through the fabric supply and found a perfect denim type fabric.  I purchased the remaining items from the supply list but was never able to view the videos.  So, the project was put on hold until I was wanting to sew but not necessarily clothes.

Since sewing is my something to do to reduce stress while I take care of my parents, I took my time cutting out the various parts.  Note that the supply list seems to be incorrect.  The exterior fabric took about 1/2 yard less.  This continued with the interfacings.  I purchased an additional yard of the light weight interfacing but probably could have gotten by with 3/4 yard and probably less if I had checked the required amount with the pattern a head of time.  The heavy weight interfacing was the same.  I had purchased 1 1/2 yard of the Decovil for the project which should have been more than enough to complete the project which called for 1 1/8 yards.  The Decovil is very expensive and the only way it can be purchased is in the 1 1/2 yard roll that I had originally purchased.  Actual amount required was 1 1/2 yards + 2/3 yard which is a little less than 2 1/4 yards.  I have no idea if anyone is selling this product by the yard.  This freebie has suddenly become rather expensive. So much for stress reducing. 

I had really hoped that I would be able to complete this bag 100% on the sewing machine but that was not the can at all.  I ended up having to put the lining in by hand as I just could not get into the machine to stitch.  This put me into a "I don't want to do this mood." so it took a couple of weeks to get it finished.

Here is the my completed version:





I am happy enough with my version but I will never make another one.  There were too many issues.  The Decovil is a little bit hard to work with and I am sure that is the reason I could not get it into the bag into the machine machine stitch the lining into place.  My list of pros and cons:

Pros:

1.  It was free pattern.

Cons:

1.  The recommended interfacing was a little hard to find and a little hard to work with.  

2.  Instructions for the handle were a little hard to understand.  I figured it out by looking at the pictures.

3.  The handles really should have had some kind of a cotton cording in the middle of the handle.  This is a comfort issue.

4.  I hated hand stitching the lining to the bag.  


Overall, I will probably use this bag.  It is intended to be used as a project bag and/or a bag to carry things to do on trips.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment