Monday, November 6, 2017

Casual Skirts....

As life continues to change and I fall into new routines, I decided that I needed a new casual skirt.  You can't really get much more casual than a denim skirt but do I really want denim?  Maybe I will consider the skirt styling and try for a colored denim.  So, with that in mind, I headed over to Neiman Marcus to see what they were showing in this particular style.  I found this:


A rather typical denim pencil skirt with jean styling. Although my skirt will not be too small as the picture is showing on the model.  I suspect that if this skirt was worn by the model for an entire day, it would be butt sprung.  Of course, the denim might relax but I'm not familiar with the fabric blend on this skirt.  It is cotton and polyurethane.  I don't general think of polyurethane as a chemical to create fabric but there is it.  This is the AG Emery High-Waisted Pencil Skirt.  Regular price tag:  $168.00.

Now for a pattern.  I just received the Silhouette Patterns #2017 - My Basic Jean Skirt:


This is a classic jean skirt pattern.  Styling is pretty close to the inspiration picture.  It most likely is not a high-waisted and not as close fitting because it doesn't show in the line drawing that it has a slit.

Other pattern considerations:


McCall's Perfect Fit Skirt, the shortest version on the right.  It has slanted pockets which might rule it out.


This Vogue Calvin Klein skirt.  It's a little shorter than I prefer but that is easy to fix.  It has the high waist like the inspiration picture.  There is a slit in the back which is where I would prefer to have the slit, if I'm going to have one.

So many things to consider.  The Silhouettes pattern would probably be the easiest because of the sizing.  The McCall's and Vogue patterns will need to have adjustments made.  All three are very classic skirts. 

As far as the fabric, the recent move has proved to me that I have plenty of fabric.  For some reason, I tend to collect denim which I had no idea that I had done.  I also have a small collection of twills.  I'm leaning toward a dark chocolate brown twill to make this skirt. 

I guess if I'm going to get this moved from a plan to reality I need to work a little harder on the sewing room and get the organization finished so I can get the sewing machines going.  I'm definitely ready to see how a couple of the machines survived the move.  It will give me the chance to see how my setup works.

What are your thoughts on the chosen patterns?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment