Monday, December 28, 2015

Cardinal Quilt, It Is Finished....

The Cardinal Quilt was finished in plenty of time for Christmas.  Here's a pic:


The long-arm quilter did an awesome job making this quilt look good.  All those areas that did't quite want to lay flat do now.  The quilting design is an overall swirl done in gray.  The backing is a cuddle suede and was very easy to work with.

I'm fairly sure that many of these beautiful quilt kits were sold.  I'm fairly sure that there were most likely many frustrated people also.  Here are my lessons learned from this type of quilt kit:

1.  Find the instructions before purchasing and make sure that the directions are fairly good.  Don't follow blindly.
2.  Measure the center panel and make sure it is square (you know I didn't do this).
3.  I don't enjoy the point-on-point squares.  (maybe this is a practice issue)
4.  Measure, measure, measure!

The long-arm quilter said that the majority of the issues that I had making this quilt was that the center panel wasn't the measurement indicated.  It was a little bit smaller in the middle which made it bow just a little bit.  Of course, I wanted the point-on-point squares to be perfect and most likely stretch them in my attempts.  That made a bit of cupping.  The wonders of quilting and washing making all that disappear.

Things I would do differently:

1.  Bias Binding instead of the straight cut.  Hopefully, it will be okay but in the long run I think that the bias binding will last longer.


Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment