Monday, November 9, 2015

Fast Fashion...

This weekend I was reading Clair Kennedy's article "Getting a Perspective on Real Clothing Prices".  It is an interesting read especially if you follow the links.  I wish I could remember the name of the book that I read 2 or 3 years ago directed at Fast Fashion and the cost of it.

What is your take on Fast Fashion?

I would rather have fewer clothes than purchase some of the really cheap clothing that I've been seeing the last 2 to 4 years.  I don't really care for the ultra thin fabrics.  Yes, I fully realize that this is one of the ways that manufacturers use to reduce costs.  It doesn't mean that I need to indulge it.  Although I can see a use for it, but it would as an additional layer under something else.  The other thing that I have seen in the last couple of years is items that barely make it though 3 or 4 washings and I only wash the majority of my clothing on gentle cycle, partial dry in the dryer, and the hang or rack dry.  I purchased a coat a couple of years ago that barely make it through the winter season.  The lining gave out after being worn about 10 or 15 times.  It is discouraging to spend $200-$300 on an item and that happen.  By the way, I actually expect this type of item to last 5 to 10 years not weeks/months.  I still have the coat but have been unable to locate good coat lining to replace the lining.

So, do you look at cost per wearing when you purchase items?  Sometimes, things can last a long time.  The cheap tops that are $10 each sometimes only survive to 3 or 4 washings.  That makes the top cost $2.50 to $3.33 per wearing.  A $30 dollar top might last a full season and result in 25 to 30 wearings with the top costing $1 to $1.2.  If you're lucky, it might last longer.

When you make something?  Do you expect it to last through the season or longer?  Does the time it takes to create something make it worth more to us?

Hope I've given you something to thing about?

Happy Stitching!





No comments:

Post a Comment