Monday, July 6, 2015

Specialty Bobbin Case, Part II

After a weekend of playing and gardening, I finally got Behemoth set up and specialty bobbin case installed. For this test, I started with a fairly thick thread that I found stashed in one of the drawers in my little sewing cabinet.  My guess is that I originally purchased this with needle tatting in mind.  Someday, I will learn to tat.


This is a fairly thick thread. Here are the results of my playing:


This first picture of a basic utility stitch on my machine.  The first row of stitching at the bottom of the picture is with no changes to the upper tension or to the bobbin case.  Although it is not look I was going for, it reminds me a little of a hand embroidery stitch.  I could see that being used in a decorative way with a more decorative thread on top than the one I'm using.  I think the upper tension on this stitch started at 4.0.


In both of these pictures I was using a small serpentine stitch and a 4-step zigzag.  Playing with just the upper tension and going all the way 9.8 didn't result in a smooth looking stitch.  So, I decided to start playing with the bobbin tension.  Isn't that a scary thought?  Glad this one is meant to be played with.


Here I'm finally started to see some results that would actually be useful on something.  The top two rows are at 7.0 upper tension and the bobbin screw was turned 1 1/4 times to the left. I can see either one of those two stitches being used decoratively on a woven item.  Then, I decided to change stitches.  This is another utility stitch most likely meant for darning.  I stitched the third row and realized that the upper tension had defaulted to 4.0.  The fourth row is the same utility stitch with 7.0 upper tension.  I see some possibilities with this one, also.  Maybe length the stitch a bit.  It almost looks like a braid trim as it is.


Here I started playing with decorative stitches on my machine.  The top row has an upper tension of 7.  The middle row has an upper tension of 8. The last row has an upper tension of 9.  Not sure about this particular stitch.  It provides a lot of texture but might be too fussy for the bobbin work.


I played with a different decorative stitch on my machine.  The top row has a tension of 7 and the bottom row has a tension of 8.  This stitch might has some possibilities but I think that there is more playing involved with the bobbin tension.


Some stitches just don't work so well with bobbin work.  Although, I suppose it makes a nice machine French knot.


This is another decorative stitch except it bigger lengthwise and width wise than the previous stitches.  This stitch might has some possible with additional bobbin tension playing.

Things learned:

1.  Utility stitches may work a little bit with this weight of thread due to the thread knotting.
2.  Computerized machines are a bit of pain when playing with the tensions as every stitch will revert back to the programmed top tension.
3.  Bobbin work is a lot of trial and error.

I will continue to share the bobbin work as I play. If anyone finds someone else who shares information on bobbin work, please direct me as I very interested in look that the bobbin work gives.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment