Friday, October 3, 2014

My First Machine Quilted Quilt.....

Yes, the quilt is finally finished.  I'm happy with the way it turned out.  I hope the recipient likes it.  Here's the finished product:


Yep, that's me holding it up and gives you an idea of the size.  Here's another pic laid out on the floor:


The backing is the same as the green blocks.

This was the first chevron block I have ever done.  I liked the size of the block.  The pattern was an extra leaflet with a quilt magazine I purchased last summer.  It pattern didn't provide a lot of information so I have to assume it wasn't meant for a beginner quilter.   As for the quilting, I used the walking foot on my machine to follow the chevrons.  In the quilt blocks, I outlined the block.  Nothing fancy on the first try. However, my machine is capable of doing much more.  I just need to experiment.

I kinda like having an empty living room.  Generally, the floor in this room is covered with a rug which makes you forget how pretty they are.  Otherwise, I would not have been able to lay out the quilt like I did. New furniture will be arriving later this week.  I hope I like the new rug but I have reservations.  I'm not sure that the designer I worked with had enough experience in designing.  I tossed the first design because she did not use the colors I gave her to work with along with the fact that the first design had all the furniture on one wall.

On to the next sewing project.   Saturday will be first monthly sewing date with my friend since April. We will be working on Christmas mantel covers.  Here's a pic of the one I will be attempting:



This is an epattern from Martingale.  My mantel is just a little bit larger than the pattern so I am having to modify it slightly.  This will include a new technique for me - paper piecing.  Wish me luck!

Do you ever feel like you have so many sewing ideas and not enough time to do them all?   I have so many items that I want to make but I'm already running out of time for Christmas items.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment