Thursday, March 27, 2014

Herringbone Cowl finished...

I finished the Herringbone Cowl that I started last month.  Here it is:


This is a free project on Craftsy.  The link above will take you to the youtube demo of how to do the stitch and there will be link there for the pattern.  This was a project that I started for the February knitting group.  The yarn is a wool blend.  Some chunky yarn I picked up at Michael's.  The required set of needles for this project was difficult to locate.  Michael's carried the correct size but not the correct length.  So, I made the trek to JoAnn's hoping that they would have needles in the correct size. I was not lucky.  Next, I tried a little yarn shop in the same area as JoAnn's.  I was very lucky.  They had one pair of the size 19 needles in the correct length.

The herringbone pattern was very easy to do once I got going. It was very easy to see when you made a mistake.  The chunky yarn was easy to work with but the circular needles were hard for me to hold. It took me much longer than an hour to make.  Maybe total 5 or 6 hours. Be aware that if you choice to make this that the directions just say bind off.  I asked at the March knitting meeting if I should just do a regular bind off or follow the pattern and bind off.  I was told to do a regular bind off. You can see the ruffled edge and I think the knitting each stitch was the reason it ruffled a little bit.  I will have to make another one to find out if that is the case or not but I think the proper way to bind off was to stay in the pattern.

In the end this was very good practice for the knit stitch.  So, if you're looking for a project to practice your knitting this one is good.

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment