Friday, October 28, 2022

Book Review...The Act of Sewing

 I found The Act of Sewing by Sonya Philip recently at my local library.  I am familiar with the author as she is the designer behind 100 Acts of Sewing Patterns which is a basic sewing pattern line.  Look it up.  

The book starts like many sewing books do now listing tools and techniques, discussing terminology, fabric, working with patterns, seam finishes, hems, and finishing curved edges.  All necessary for beginning sewing. Next, we hop into the section where the gold is.  The gold being the patterns.  This book contains four patterns - top, pants, skirt, and shirt.  This chapter provides the instructions for each pattern.  There is suggestions on making a muslin for each pattern.

The next section is where things start getting interesting - shorten/length, make wider/narrower, shoulder adjustments, bust/chest adjustments, and rise/seat adjustments.  Making the muslin can help you  determine what changes are needed to fit the pattern the way you want it to fit.  Next, discussion of various neckline styles and how to achieve them; different types of closures and facings; sleeves changes and how to achieve them; how to change the body of the garment by adding yokes and button plackets; waistband changes; different types of hems; adding embellishments such as gathers, pleats, tucks, ruching, and pockets.

The next section is all about combining the patterns to make a dress, a tunic, a tie-front shirt, and a jumpsuit.

All in all, this is a great book.  I do think that a beginner could do something with the patterns in this book and make pattern changes as well.  The book is a good investment if you are willing to try the patterns. 

I have added it to my library.  I think next year I will be playing a lot with the patterns in this book.  I just need to check the stash and see what might be appropriate there.  If I do not much in the stash and that is possible, then I was start looking for fabric that would be appropriate for the various projects.  

I am thinking of a lot of possibilities especially with playing with necklines.  As much as I like getting new patterns, it is very frustrating to do the fitting on each individual pattern.  It is very freeing to use the same pattern over and over.  I must have made five tank tops using the fabrics-store tank pattern and it was free.  

Hope I have given you food for thought.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment