Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Binding....

The binding get together has been completed.  My friend has a Martelli Kwik Bias Binder Attachment.  We got a little further along with this attempt.  We finally were able to do a straight edge but most projects have a corner unless it it round.  She also had the minute miter clips which given the small piece of paper with 4 instructions on it didn't do much for actually being able to use it.  These clips were meant to be used with the binder but we couldn't figure out how.   If anyone knows and can explain how to use this binder with the clips we would greatly appreciated.  I have looked on the Martelli website and on youtube for the bias binder attachment videos and can not find anything.  I can still purchase this item via the distributor.

A formula for calculating bias binding requirements was found at Quilts and Creativity.  It is pretty easy to use as long as you have some sort of a calculator.  There is a good discussion at Generation Quilts regarding binding types and when to choose which type of binding.  You will also find calculations available.  You can see how I create bias bindings here.

We also tried out the technique of using fusible thread with the binding so that you do not need pins to hold the binding in place.  Originally, we were going to use the serger to apply the fusible thread but I finally decided to use a zigzag stitch on a regular sewing machine.  I was disappointed in this technique. It took a lot of time to accomplish and the results were not worth the time spend applying the fusible thread, ironing the binding which didn't fuse very well, and then stitching in the ditch. I still need to go back and hand stitch the binding due to the large number of missed spots.  It is always possible that the iron wasn't hot enough to melt the fusible.  It certainly seemed like the fusible didn't adhere well.  I will continue to hand stitch the bindings for now.

It was interesting to see that I did my bindings differently than my friend.  I always use bias binding, stitch the binding on the front, wrap it to the back, and then hand stitch the binding.  My friend does her with french binding, stitches the binding to the back, wraps to the front, and machine stitches.  Interestingly enough, she thought that I had shown her that way of doing bindings.  How do you do your bindings?  Do you have some good resources for applying bindings by machine?  I would love to hear about them.

Next up is to finish my dress, finish the quick and easy place mats, and Saturday is knitting day.

Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment