Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Aida Top Completed…

First, I’m going to say that this pattern is very generously sized.  You can tell this by looking at the picture on the pattern.  With that in mind, I got out a ruler to see how big the actual recommended size was.  I ended up going down one size. 

Here’s the Aida Top pattern:

Here’s my version in a size 16:

The instructions are straight forward.  The pattern is rated beginner and mostly, I think that is true until you get to the sleeves.  The instructions do not have you put in gathering stitches to pull up the sleeve to match the armhole.  I was a little doubtful that you could stitch this in and produce a nice looking sleeve but I was wrong.  It turned out beautifully.  I did have one small bubble but I think I was because I was sewing a little too fast.  So, take your time with the stitching. 

TIP:  Make sure the sleeve side is against the feed dogs to assist with easing in the sleeve.

I did make a change to the neckband.  Since I was using a plaid and really didn't want the fuss of trying to match the plaid on the neckband to the main body of the shirt, I put in on the bias.  I like the way this turned out.

TIP:  To change the grain line on the pattern piece use a ruler with grid markings on it and place the straight of grain line from corner to corner, then mark the bias line on the pattern piece.  Sometimes, the rulers will have the 45 degree lines already marked on the ruler.  If that is the case, just use it.

Next, I completed button placement.  Because of the size of the shirt I decided to go with attaching the buttons to the neckband and having a pullover shirt.  Here’s where I really did not like the instructions.  It states to put your buttons where you want.   Would a beginner know this information? or have I had my hand held for too many years by having this information on the pattern?  I managed to get the buttons on. 

I also used a foot in my sewing foot collection called the Viking Button Foot with Placement Tool.  It worked but I thought it was a little cumbersome.  Here's link to the you-tube video for anyone who might be interested in this foot - Viking Button Foot with Placement Tool Video .

For the hems, I deviated from the instructions.  Personally, I think it is hard to put in a nice looking hem in a shirt with the pressing of a ¼” and then pressing 3/8”a second time.  I serged the edge pressed up ½” and top stitched 3/8”.    For the sleeve hem, I decided to use the bias edge treatment to match with the neckband. 

TIP:  If you choose to follow the directions for the shirt hem, stop stitching the side seams 5/8” from the bottom edge this will assist with rolling the hem evenly.

Overall, I think this is a nice summer shirt.  A little over-sized but very wearable.  After seeing the side shots, I will most likely wear it belted.  This is the first time in a long time that I found a woven shirt to be comfortable.  Even with all the fullness, it could use a little manipulation for a full bust.  Darts really are a girl's best friend.

I do think that this would look good in a longer tunic length, belted with skinny pants.  I might think about that in the future.  To do that, you might need to add additional room in the hips to allow for sitting.

Now, I need to figure out a new sewing project.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment