Sunday, October 3, 2010

1 UFO down and....

Yes, I have mostly finished the curtain for the deck and here it is:

This curtain took about 2 months for me to complete. It is certainly not my best work but it is functional. I did forget to add weights to the bottom and this will be fixed over the winter. This is the largest curtain that I have ever made. It is just over 12 feet across. Really, this is very easy sewing. I used felted seams for joins and regular hems on the sides and bottom. The top however is angled to match the slope of the ceiling. This project included two new to me items. First, the fabric is outdoor fabric is a little different to handle. Second, I used outdoor thread for the stitching. My machine balked a little bit at using this thread and it took a little bit of playing with the tensions to get a good stitch. Outdoor thread is very heavy. However, it is a necessary part of sewing for the outdoors.

I really like the change to the atmosphere on the deck by adding the curtain. The curtain is necessary as the afternoon sun shines directly on the table in the summer. I want to add cushions to the chairs. I have stashed more outdoor fabrics. I have been unable to locate the foam for outdoor cushions. I know I will locate it eventually.

I have added another new book to the library. I'm intrigued by "Learning to Sew" books. Here's the latest addition:

Yes, the book has the typical information that is found in every sewing book that is printed today - the tools and the machine. However, something I haven't seen before is a getting to know your machine. As in stitching every stitch and playing with the stitch length and width. A cool little project for anyone sewing. Isn't this something you do with every new machine? The book is full of little projects that anyone would like to do not just the beginner. Did I tell you that you get patterns too? Do I agree with all the techniques that is used on the book? No, I think some of my own techniques are better. I love this book though and maybe this will be a book that I do some projects from. Really though, I picked up because I was looking for a book for a potential client at work who is wanting to learn to sew. I think this book would be very good for her.

Now, I will move on to the next UFO. The grain bag for my husband. It's somewhere in the sewing area all cut out waiting for me to thread the serger and sewing machine. I hope I can remember everything that I intended to do because I doubt that I wrote it all down. DH will be very happy to get it. Brewing season is just around the corner and the brew master will be very happy with a new grain bag that actually fits his pot.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment